Can Dogs Eat Grapes? - AniForte UK

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

should dogs eat grapes

Grapes are one of the most popular types of fruit for us humans. Many dog ​​owners also know that grapes are not healthy for their furry friends and can even be quite dangerous. In this article we will explain why grapes are not recommended for dogs and what you have to pay attention to if your dog has eaten grapes.

Eating grapes can have dire consequences for dogs. It does not matter whether the grapes have seeds or not, are red or green, ripe or unripe. Many dogs react to them with symptoms of intoxication. It is not uncommon for dogs to die after eating grapes. However, not all dogs show the same symptoms after eating grapes. There have been reports of dogs who eat large quantities of grapes regularly and develop no symptoms. However, other pets die from kidney failure within a few days. Scientists have not yet been able to answer why the reactions of dogs are so varied.

When can dogs eat grapes?

Grapes are not generally toxic to dogs. Factors such as the amount consumed and the individual predisposition play an important role. Researchers assume that sensitivity varies widely within the dog population and that poisoning depends on the dog's individual disposition. Studies have shown that up to 50% of dogs died of poisoning from grapes. Therefore, it is better not to challenge the sensitivity of your furry friend and rather refrain from feeding the delicious fruits.

Symptoms of grape poisoning

Poisoning from grapes can occur even in low doses. 10 g of grapes per kg of body weight can be enough for your furry friend to develop severe symptoms. Please note that raisins can also lead to poisoning! With raisins, 2.8 g per kg of body weight are enough to cause symptoms of illness. You should therefore ensure that your furry friend does not eat granola bars, pieces of cake or other foods containing grapes.

A review of the data at the Animal Poison Control Center in the United States lists the following symptoms in dogs that ate grapes:

  • increased levels of urea nitrogen in the blood
  • increased serum creatinine levels
  • vomiting
  • lethargy
  • eating disorders / reluctance to eat
  • diarrhoea
  • decreased urine output
  • movement coordination disorders
  • increase in the level of phosphate and calcium in the blood
  • kidney failure leading to death

What to do if your dog has eaten grapes

There is no uniform therapy for grape poisoning. The experts still do not know which substance in the grapes leads to poisoning and ultimately kidney failure.

If your dog steals grapes, however, you should react quickly. The best thing to do is to contact your vet directly and explain the situation. Since grapes stay in the stomach for a particularly long time, vomiting should be induced within 2 hours after ingestion. This is best done by the vet and not by mistress or master at home.

As a rule, it also makes sense to give activated charcoal, as it binds possible toxins and can buy some time. Infusions and rinsing of the abdominal cavity can also be used as acute treatment. The dog's kidney function should also be monitored. The vet may also be able to wash the kidneys (hemodialysis).


  • Grapes and raisins can be very toxic to dogs
  • Your dog can even die from poisoning
  • Contact the veterinarian immediately
  • Administration of activated charcoal after consultation with the vet

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.